Spend time in the studio with Claudia as she revisits Antarctica with you. You’ll gain confidence in sketching and painting in watercolour whilst taking a creative... Read more
Date12 Feb - 12 Feb 2022
Location(s)Art Safari StudioVIRTUAL
Workshop contentArtist's Residency in Antarctica
Use this page to subscribe to the Art Safari email list.
You can unsubscribe at any time by using the link at the bottom of emails sent by us.
Your interests (optional): Workshops Holidays Both
Other interest (optional):
Spend time in the studio with Claudia as she revisits Antarctica with you.
You’ll gain confidence in sketching and painting in watercolour whilst taking a creative journey through the fascinating subjects of the far south – icebergs, wildlife, glaciers, mountains, water, sea and sky. You’ll come away with a blizzard of new ideas and techniques that will inform your work and give you all the tricks for light on water and snow.
– top tips on sketching in the cold and wind!
– using watercolours to create light and atmosphere
– how to use all those different blues
– when to paint wet, when to work dry
– painting light – the importance of the white paper
– using photos creatively
– mark-making – how to capture the moment
Appointed Friends of Scott Polar Research Institute’s Artist in Residence for 2021/22, Art Safari’s Claudia Myatt has just returned from Antarctica with full sketchbooks and plenty of inspiration. If you are new to watercolours or have had a go and got stuck, this workshop will blow some new inspiration your way!
Ask if you would like a follow up to go deeper into the blues of Antarctica. We could use the inspiring subjects of the far south – glaciers, ice, sea, sky and wildlife – to develop watercolour techniques and hear more from both Claudia Myatt and Mary-Anne Bartlett about the thrills and challenges of painting in the wilderness of the far south.
– painting ice: texture and shadows
– shades of grey: how to mix subtle greys of sea and sky
– painting things that move: getting the essentials down quickly
– drawing with colour: boldness pays
– a closer look at painting birds, penguins, whales and seals
– mixed media: creative use of your materials including coloured pencils, paint sticks and collage
Mary-Anne has led two Art Safari tours to the Antarctic. We would love to return – do tell us if it is on your bucket list too!
Join us online.
Virtual Art Adventures
Keep me updated on the latest Art Safari news, deals and latest trips